How It Works: Program Steps To Becoming A Green School
- Form a Green Schools team that will work together to educate students and staff, influence behavior changes and conserve resources.
- School teams include two or more staff members such as teachers, principal, other administrator or custodian, along with interested students or a student group such as the ASB or an environmental club. Parents also may be involved.
- School district teams include district staff such as a resource conservation or facility manager, maintenance supervisor or similar position. The purchasing manager, superintendent, capital projects director, interested principals, teachers, students and parents also can join the district team.
- Complete a KCGS Program School Application, either for a school or a school district.
- With assistance from King County, complete the Level One Best Practices Guide for Schools, which focuses on waste reduction and recycling.
- Celebrate successes and receive recognition.
- If desired, complete Level Two and Level Three.
- By completing the requirements in each category, schools and school districts will significantly improve their conservation practices. Schools and districts that do not complete the criteria are still eligible to receive assistance.
Contact Ms. Dale Alekel for additional information:
Ms. Dale Alekel Green Schools Program Manager King County Solid Waste Division 201 South Jackson Street, Suite 701 Seattle, WA 98104 Fax: email@example.com