Auburn School District Directory Information Withholding Form
Student records are private by law
Federal law prohibits school districts from releasing information found in student files without parent/guardian permission, except for what is called directory information. Directory information may be released under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The district does not release directory information for commercial purposes.
Parents can tell the school and district to keep directory information private.
Parents of students under age 18 and students who are over 18 have the right to tell the school district and its schools to keep directory information private.
What is directory information?
Directory information includes:
- Dates of Enrollment (dates of attendance/recent or previous schools)
- Home address
- ASD Student ID
- Network User ID
- Telephone number(s)
- Email addresses
- Date of birth
- Degrees and awards received
- Parent/guardian names
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Grade level
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
Keeping directory information private
If you complete the ASD Directory Information Withholding Form, your student’s directory information will not be disclosed to outside organizations, the military, or any institutions of higher education; used to access online educational resources; or used in any communication that could reach the public or media. Your student will not be included in the Yearbook.
- School yearbook
- Graduation program
- A press release or media story (newspaper, radio or television) on an award, play or class project
- District newsletter to all parents and/or staff
- Publications directed at district staff members
- Video shown to teachers from other schools within the district
- School video shown at a school board meeting open to the public
- Student or PTSA directory
- Curriculum-related software
- School newsletter
- The school’s website, district website or social media
- Military recruiters’ rosters
- Email mailing lists for PTSA communications
If you do not want your student’s directory information released, please complete and sign the Directory Information Withholding form and return it to:
Daman Hunter, 915 4thStreet N.E., Auburn, WA 98002 or fax it to 253-931-8006.
This form must be completed annually for withholding to continue.
If you allow the district to release directory information, you do not need to complete this form.