Superintendent Message, Spring 2018
Dear ASD Families:
It is almost the end of another successful school year. As I reflect on this school year, I am so happy to be in Auburn.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- After a ceremonial groundbreaking in March, construction began in earnest in April on the new Olympic Middle School. The new school is scheduled to open in the fall of 2019.
- All secondary students have a Chromebook for use at home and at school. These tools are revolutionizing personalized learning.
- We have prioritized the work of our strategic plan with three big goals: increased attendance and engagement, high achievement and 100 percent graduation.
- We hosted a Welcome to School event in August that more than 1,000 people attended. Mark your calendars for this year’s event 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m., August 22 at Auburn High School.
- Our elementary and middle schools are participating in No Excuses University, a program rooted in the belief that every student has the right to be educated in a way that prepares them for college and career.
In addition to these, we have had many, many individual successes. We have a robust career and technical program with numerous students winning state honors in a variety of fields. Students throughout the district excel in music, athletics and theater.
Our partnerships with Green River College, UW Tacoma, local businesses and the College Success Foundation provide opportunities specifically for Auburn students.
We have a supportive community, passionate parents, excellent leaders and great staff. Our common goal is success for each student. Success is measured differently for different students and our charge as an educational system is to provide the path to success for each student.
With community and family support, we will achieve equity and excellence for all students. I am honored to be your superintendent and I hope you have a relaxing, fun and safe summer.
Dr. Alan Spicciati